50 is an extraordinary age, you’ve had many experiences to celebrate, but you still have many years ahead that you can enjoy to the fullest with a well-groomed hairstyle. In this article, you’ll find five tips for getting and maintaining beautiful hair after 50.
What happens to our hair after 50?
Due to the hormonal changes orchestrated by menopause, hair becomes more sensitive. Indeed, in women, the estrogen levels drop sharply to make way for the androgen hormones responsible for male characteristics. This phenomenon leads to a hormonal imbalance. As a result, hair become thinner, brittle, and more difficult to style. Existing hair problems worsen and, in some cases, turn into alopecia. Here a few tips to counteract these changes.
- 1- Frequently moisturize your hair
- 2- Consider natural henna coloring
- 3- Make your own natural volumizing hair mask
- 4- Use a natural lotion to promote healthy hair
- 5- Choose the perfect hairstyle
- 6. Wash your hair less frequently or with a gentle shampoo
1- Frequently moisturize your hair
Wind, sun UV rays, and seawater are all elements that dry out hair. Did you know aloe vera gels are great to moisturize dry hair? Aloe vera is an excellent ally that hydrates the hair fiber increasing its water retention.
A home-made gel can be easily crafted by mixing aloe vera gel with coconut milk and then applying it to hair. Leave the mixture on the hair for half an hour before washing out.
Argan oil also aids with hair hydration. You can use it as a mask combined with olive oil on your hair before your usual shampoo or spray a few drops on the ends after they have been washed. Make your mask more effective by wrapping it in a hot towel for an hour before shampooing. Commercially available shea butter masks and conditioners are also an ideal complement to this hair mask routine.
You can find here our Shampoo Bar for dry hair
2- Consider natural henna coloring
Nicknamed “plant of paradise”, henna is a large shrub whose leaves are reduced to a red-orange powder used to dye hair. You may want to consider trying henna hair coloring to keep your hair looking beautiful.
A natural dying powder
Henna powder is 100% natural and free of harsh chemicals such as p-Phenylenediamine or ammonia that are found in many hair dyes. You can use it up to once a week to maintain a great color. You will find it in organic and specialty stores as a shampoo, as well as a dye.
A zero-risk vegetable hair coloring
Henna, unlike ordinary hair colors, does not damage hair. Chemical hair dyes often tend to make hair dry and unruly in the long run. Henna, on the other hand, promotes shiny and healthy hair in the long term.
Henna for oily hairs
Unlike other henna varieties, blond henna (Cassia obovata) is not intended for coloring. It is well known in the Mediterranean region for its purifying properties. If you suffer from oily hair, you will significantly benefit from a blond henna mask.
Henna is excellent for hair strength
Contrary to harsh chemicals, henna promotes hair growth. After a few months of regular use, you will notice increased vitality, structure, and volume of your hair.
Simple and easy to use at home
To make your home coloring, mix 3.5 oz of henna powder in 10 ounces of hot water until you get a homogeneous texture.
Cover your hair with the resulting mixture and leave it on for half an hour. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and wash hair with a very mild shampoo (essential if you don’t want to remove the color). Wear gloves when applying and rinsing so as not to dye your skin.
Choose specific hair-care for henna
After applying a henna mask, avoid harsh chemicals and instead use gentle hair care products. A gentle shampoo bar is an ideal solution for henna dying.
3- Make your own natural volumizing hair mask
At 50, due to the increased fragility of hair, it is more than ever a time to take care of your hair with 100% natural routine. here below a great homemade hair mask idea made from egg and olive oil.
An egg is extremely rich in lipids, iron, and proteins, making it beneficial to moisturize dry hair deeply. Another great benefit is that the egg adds structure and elasticity and helps sustain an increased hair volume for a few days after its application.
Olive oil is highly appreciated in hair care due to its rich antioxidant content and its repairing properties that bring shine to the hair. Opt for extra virgin oils for maximum shine.
Hair Mask Routine
- Mix an entire egg with one tablespoon of olive oil, one of rum, and one of lemon juice.
- Apply the preparation all over your hair and leave it for 5 to 20 minutes
- Rinsing with cold water.
- You can repeat this ritual every other day after having washed your hair
You can find here our bar shampoo for thin hair , which is excellent way to wash your hair and adding a touch of volume.
4- Use a natural lotion to promote healthy hair
Some natural ingredients promote healthy hair growth, including green tea and red ginseng extract (avoid using them if you have a sensitive scalp).
Nettle is also known as a natural hair tonic that provides hair with the nutrients it needs to restore their vitality. You can use nettle internally as an infusion or as a scalp serum before going to bed.
Natural Hair Lotion Recipe
- a tablespoon of ginseng juice (you can craft your own from the root with a slow juicer)
- a tablespoon of nettle extract
- a tablespoon of green tea
- three teaspoons of sesame oil
- Mix until your lotion becomes homogeneous.
- Spray on the roots
- Massage with en energy into the scalp before going to bed
- Wait for 2 to 4 months to see the first results
- Treat for one year for best results (hair stimulating lotions act on the bulb, which will gradually but slowly form better hairs)
5- Choose the perfect hairstyle
For those who want to embrace their grey hair
● Trim the ends as frequently as possible to eliminate unpleasant split ends. Take advantage of this hairdresser visit and ask for a short, tapered cut.
● Use a ceramic straightener (gentler than a classic ) coupled with a heat protecting spray to indulge yourself with a perfect smoothing and luminous shine that is pleasant to touch. Don’t hesitate to curl a few strands at the front of the face to enhance your look.
● Use an exfoliating shampoo to get rid of impurities left by pollution and grease caused by excess sebum. White and grey hair is more porous, thus absorbing residues very quickly. As a result, hair becomes dull and brittle.
● Keep the whiteness of the hair while incorporating a few lighter strands that will dazzle your coloring and give it more harmony and liveliness. To do this, go to a professional salon to carefully even out your hair color.
● Equip yourself with anti-UV sprays or a cute hat or hairband to protect your hair from additional sunshine bleaching.
For those who wish to mask their white hair
● The low ponytail – chic and achievable in two minutes, it pleasantly hides neck’ white hair.
● Try a zig-zag parting that does not highlight the roots to hide white hair around the face.
● A colorful accessory – whether on short, medium, or long hair. Scarves and wide headbands are in vogue and convey a chic and glamorous tone. Place one elegantly in the center of the skull or at the edge of the hair
● Tinted mascara for white or grey hair offers quick and effective cover-up results for your romantic strolls or quick outings with your girlfriends. A practical and gentle cover for gray hair.
6. Wash your hair less frequently or with a gentle shampoo
Some commercial shampoos contain harsh ingredients for hairs as saponified oils (e.g. sodium palmate) or SLS (sodium laureth sulfate ) that are usually listed as one the first ingredients.
Harsh shampoos can strip away our natural scalp sebum, which forces our oil glands to compensate by producing even more oil – leaving hair feeling greasy and in need of another strong wash the very next day. If you prefer, you can wash your hair with shampoo every other day and just rinse it on alternate days (unless you have long hair or are exposed to a lot of dirt and vapors throughout the day ). Alternatively, using a shampoo bar for thin hair can be done daily and will result in thicker hair in the long run.
You can find here our sulfate free shampoo bar which is very gentle and excellent for fine hair